1987 - 1990 PhD. in Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnic University
1984 - 1987 M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern Polytechnic University
1980 - 1984 B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Hefei University of Technology
Our research is focused on the understanding of basic principles that control mechanical properties and behaviors of materials. We study polymeric, metallic and ceramic materials in composite and thin film forms, peripheral nerves, and the materials mimicking biological materials such as gecko by combining experiment with theory and computation.
The Current topics:
- Ceramic, metal, and polymer matrix micro-/nano-composites
- Multifunctional materials for sensing and damage detection
- Materials for clean energy (fuel cells)
- Bio-inspired and bio-mimetic materials
- Characterization and biomechanics of biological materials (e.g. nerves)
- Multiscale/multi-physics modeling and simulation
For more information, visit Xia's Research Group Website.
- Z.H. Xia and W.A. Curtin, Book Chapter: "Multiscale modeling and simulation of composite materials and structures", Eds. Y. Kown, D. Allen and R.Talreja. (2008) Springer.
- Z. H. Xia, Book chapter: "A New Handbook for Mechanical Engineers", Eds.,R. L.Chen, and T. L. Lu, Beijing. Chinese Light-Industry Press, 995pp (1994).
- Hu, Shihao; Jiang, Haodan; Xia, Zhenhai; Gao, Xiaosheng, Friction and Adhesion of Hierarchical Carbon Nanotube Structures for Biomimetic Dry Adhesives: Multiscale Modeling, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2010.
- K.P. Gong, Feng Du, Z.H. Xia, M. Durstock and L.M. Dai, "Nitrogen-Doped Carbon Nanotube Arrays with High Electrocatalytic Activity for Oxygen Reduction", Science, 323, 760-764(2009).
- E.M. Byrne, M.A. McCarthy, Z. H. Xia, and W. A. Curtin, "Multi-Wall Nanotubes can be Stronger than Single-Wall Nanotubes and Implications for Nanocomposite Design", Physical Review Letters, 103, No. 045502, (2009).
- Hui Ouyang, Z.H. Xia and Jiang Zhe, "Static and Dynamic Responses of Polyelectrolyte Brushes under External Electric Field", Nanotechnology, 20 (2009) 195703 (7pp).
- X.F. Wei, Z.H. Xia, S.C. Wong and A. Baji, "Modeling of mechanical properties of electrospun nanofiber network", International Journal of Experimental and Computational Biomechanics, 1, 49-57(2009).
- L.T. Qu, L.M. Dai, M. Stone, Z.H. Xia, and Z.L. Wang, "Carbon Nanotube Arrays with Strong Shear Binding-On and Easy Normal Lifting-Off". Science, 322 238-242(2008).
- Z. H. Xia, L. Riester, W. A. Curtin, H. Li, B. W. Sheldon, J. Liang, B. Chang and J. Xu, "Direct observation of toughening mechanisms in carbon-nanotube ceramic matrix composites", Acta Materialia, 52, 931-944 (2004)
- Professional Experience
- 2011 - present Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of North Texas, Denton, TX
- 2010 - 2011 Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH
- 2006 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Akron, Akron, OH
- 2000 - 2006 Senior Research Scientist, Solid Mechanics, Division of Engineering, Brown University, Providence, RI
- 1997 - 1999 Visiting Scientist/Alexandar von Humboldt Scholar, Institute of Materials Research, German Aerospace Center, Cologne, Germany
- 1990 - 1999 Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Full Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Hebei University of Technology, Tianjin, China
- 1993 - 1995 Associate Director of Graduate School, Hebei University of Technology, China
- 1995 - 1998 Chair of the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Hebei University of Technology, Tianjin, China
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Member, American Society of Composite Materials
- Member, Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- Honors and Awards
- Humboldt Research Fellowship Award, 1997
- Hebei Provence Young Investigator Award, 1996
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Tianjin Education Association of China, 1996
- Tianjin Young Investigator Award, 1995
- Top Ten Distinguished Young Educators, Hebei Education Committee, 1995
- Northwestern Polytechnic University Graduate Fellowship Award, 1984 - 1990
- Hefei University Technology Fellowship Award, 1980 -1984
- About Us
- Give to MTSE