Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering (December 1997)
- The Ohio State University - Columbus, OH
- Thesis Topic : Structural and Phase Transformations in Sputter Deposited
- Titanium-Aluminum Multilayers and Alloy Thin Films
M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering (March 1996)
- The Ohio State University - Columbus, OH
B.Tech in Metallurgical Engineering (July 1993)
- The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India
- Institute Silver Medal for First rank in Metallurgical Engg.
Titanium and Its Alloys
- Processing and Characterization of alpha/beta (Ti64) and beta (Ti5553) Titanium alloys for aerospace application.
- 3D nano-characterization in order to study the structure and composition of metastable instabilities within the beta matrix and their influence on the nucleation of stable alpha precipitates in beta titanium alloys.
- The influence of heat-treatments on the partitioning and pile-up of various alpha (Al) and beta (Mo, V, Cr) alloy additions at the interphase interfaces.
- Three dimensional morphology and composition of nanoscale microstructural features in fundamental titanium alloy systems. ( alloy systems: Ti-Mo, Ti-V, Ti-Al-Mo, Ti-Al-V, Ti-Cr)
- Characterization of microstructure of Ti-Nb-Zr-Ta based alloys systems fabricated by Laser Engineered Net Shaping (LENS™) process
- Investigating the mechanical and biological properties of LENS™ processed porous biomaterials.
- Influence of microstructure and chemistry on mechanical properties of commercial Nickel base superalloys used in jet engines. (Alloys : RENE 88DT)
- Determination of the structure and chemistry across gamma /gamma’ interfaces at atomistic length scales
- Studying the partitioning of alloying elements along gamma /gamma’ interfaces.
- Understanding chemical and structural width of gamma/gamma’ interfaces
- 3D characterization of the morphology and composition of nanoscale gamma’ precipitates by coupling TEM tomography with 3D atom probe
- Determination of the lattice parameters of gamma and gamma’ phases as well as the site occupancies of different alloying elements in g’ experimental characterization coupled with atomistic modeling
- Metal-Carbon Nanotube Hybrids
- Optimization of processing route for Ni-CNT hybrids and characterization of nanoscale structure and chemistry of metal / CNT interface
- Investigation of boride reinforced TNZT alloys for biomedical application
- Orientation, morphology and composition analysis of Titanium carbide precipitates in alpha/beta and beta titanium matrix
- Influence of Synthesis Conditions on the phase separation in nanostructured Immiscible Copper-Silver Alloy Thin Films
- Immiscible Copper-Niobium Alloy Thin Films: Microstructure and Electrical Transport Properties, early Stages of Crystallization, 3D atom probe tomography and high resolution electron microscopy for probing microstructure.
- Size effects (effect of reduced system dimensions) on the crystal structure and properties (electrical transport and mechanical) of nanostructured metallic thin films and multilayers
R. Banerjee, G. B. Thompson, and H. L. Fraser, “Structural Transitions in Thin Films”, Dekker Encyclopaedia of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, eds. J. A. Schwarz, C. I Contescu, and K. Putyera, Marcel Dekker Inc. (2004)
In Refereed Journals
Titanium alloys and metal matrix composites
- S.Nag, R. Banerjee, R. Srinivasan, J. Y. Hwang, M. Harper and H. L. Fraser, “Omega Assisted Nucleation and Growth of Alpha Precipitates in the Ti-5Al-5Mo-5V-3Cr-0.5Fe Beta Titanium Alloy” Acta. Met. 57(7), 2136-2147 (2009).
- S. Nag, R. Banerjee, J. Y. Hwang, M. Harper, and H. L. Fraser, “Elemental Partitioning between a and b Phases in the Ti-5Al-5Mo-5V-3Cr-0.5Fe (Ti-5553) Alloy” Philos. Mag. 89(6), 535-552 (2009).
- E. Lee, R. Banerjee, S. Kar, D. Bhattacharyya, and, H. L. Fraser, “Selection of alpha variants during microstructural evolution in alpha/beta titanium alloys”, Philos. Mag. A, 87(24), 3615 (2007).
- S. Nag, R. Banerjee, and H. L. Fraser, “Intra-granular Alpha Precipitation in Ti-Nb-Zr-Ta Biomedical Alloys” Jour. Mat. Sci. 44(3), 808 (2009).
- S. Samuel, S. Nag, T. W. Scharf, and, R. Banerjee, “Wear Resistance of Laser-deposited Boride-reinforced Ti-Nb-Zr-Ta Alloy Composites for Orthopedic Implants”, Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 28(3), 414 (2008).
- S. Nag, R. Banerjee, and, H. L. Fraser, “A Novel Combinatorial Approach for Understanding Microstructural Evolution and its Relationship to Mechanical Properties in Metallic Biomaterials”, Acta Biomaterialia, 3(3), 369 (2007).
- S. Nag, S. Samuel, A. Puthucode, and, R. Banerjee, “Characterization of Novel Borides in Ti-Nb-Zr-Ta + 2B Metal-matrix Composites”, Mater. Charac. (article in press, 2007).
Nickel base super alloys
- R. Srinivasan, R. Banerjee, J.Y. Hwang, G. B. Viswanathan , J. Tiley, D.M. Dimiduk, H.L. Fraser. “Atomic scale structure and chemical composition across order-disorder interface”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102(2009)086101.
- J.Y. Hwang, S. Nag, A.R.P. Singh, R. Srinivasan, J. Tiley, H.L. Fraser, R. Banerjee, “Evolution of the γ/γ′ interface width in a commercial nickel base superalloy studied by three-dimensional atom probe tomography” Accepted in Scripta Met. (2009).
- J. Y. Hwang, R. Banerjee, J. Tiley, R. Srinivasan, G. B. Viswanathan, and, H. L. Fraser, “Nanoscale Characterization of Elemental Partitioning between Gamma and Gamma Prime Phases in Rene 88DT Nickel Base Superalloy”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A 40A (1), 24 (2009).
- J. Tiley, R. Srinivasan, R. Banerjee, G. B. Viswanathan, B. Toby, and, H. L. Fraser, “Application of X-ray and Neutron Diffraction to Determine Lattice Parameters and Precipitate Volume Fractions in Low Misfit Nickel Base Superalloys”, Mater. Sci. and Technol. (2008), in press.
Metal carbon nanotube (CNT) hybrids
- A.R.P. Singh, J.Y. Hwang, T.W. Scharf, J. Tiley, R. Banerjee, “Bulk nickel-carbon nanotube nanocomposites by laser deposition” Mater. Sci. Technology Accepted 2009.
- J. Y. Hwang, A. Neira, T. W. Scharf, J. Tiley, and, R. Banerjee, “Laser deposited carbon nanotube reinforced nickel matrix composites”, Scripta Mater., 59(5), 487 (2008).
Nanostructured thin films
- S. Nag, K.C. Mahdak, A. Devaraj, S. Gohil, P. Ayyub and R. Banerjee, “Phase Separation in Immiscible Silver-Copper Alloy Thin Films” Accepted in Jour. Mat. Sci. (2009).
- R. Banerjee, S. Bose, A. Genc, and, P. Ayyub, “The Microstructure and Electrical Transport Properties of Immiscible Copper-Niobium Alloy Thin Films”, J. Appl. Phys., 103, 033511 (2008).
- A. Puthucode, M. J. Kaufman, and, R. Banerjee, “Early Stages of Crystallization in Phase Separated Amorphous Coppe-Niobium Alloy Thin Films”,, Metall. Mater. Trans. A 39(7), 1578 (2008).
- S. Gohil, R. Banerjee, S. Bose, and, P. Ayyub, “Influence of Synthesis Conditions on the Nanostructure of Immiscible Copper-Silver Alloy Thin Films”, Scripta Mater., 58(10), 842 (2008).
- A. Genc, R. Banerjee, S. Nag, A. Puthucode, and, H. L. Fraser, “3D atom probe tomography and high resolution electron microscopy of immiscible copper-niobium metallic multilayers”, Micros. and Microanal., 13 (Suppl. 2), 192 (2007).
- R. Banerjee, A. Puthucode, S. Bose, and, P. Ayyub, “Nanoscale Phase Separation in Amorphous Immiscible Copper-Niobium Alloy Thin Films”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 90(2), 021904 (2007).
- R. Banerjee, “Hardness of sputter deposited nanocrystalline Ni3Al thin films”, Materials Letters, 61(2), 609 (2007).
Collaborative work in other areas
- J.Y. Hwang, R. Banerjee, H.W. Doty, M.J. Kaufman, “The effect of Mg on the structure and properties of type 319 aluminum casting alloys”, Acta Mater. 57(2009)1308.
- A. Puthucode, R. Banerjee, S. Vadlakonda, R. Mirshams, and, M, J, Kaufman, “Incipient Plasticity and Shear Band Formation in Bulk Metallic Glass Studied Using Indentation”, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 39(7), 1552 (2008).
- T. W. Scharf, M. C. Romanes, K. C. Mahdak, J. Y. Hwang, R. Banerjee, R. D. Evans, and, G. L. Doll, “Atomic-scale structure and composition of tungsten carbide reinforced diamond-like carbon films”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 93(15), 151909 (2008).
- D. Carvalho, S. Ghosh, R. Banerjee, and, P. Ayyub, “Ultra-low Breakdown Voltage and Origin of 1/f2 Noise in Metallic Nanorod Arrays”, Nanotechnology, 19, 445713 (2008).
- Professional Experience
- Aug. 2011 to Present Professor, Department of Materials Science and Eng., University of North Texas
- Sep. 2004 to Aug. 2011 Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Eng., University of North Texas
- July 2003 to Present Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Materials Science and Eng., The Ohio State University
- Aug. 2000 to Dec. 2004 Research Scientist, Center for the Accelerated Maturation of Materials in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1999 - 2000 Fellow, Department of Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Science, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay, India
- 1998 - 1999 Post-doctoral Research Associate - Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- 1994 - 1997 Graduate Research Associate - Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Honors and Awards
- Best Poster Award, TMS Annual Meeting, San Diego (2003)
- Nominated for Best Paper Award of Scripta Materialia for 1998
- Vidya Bharati Award, Indian Institute of Metals (1994)
- Institute Silver Medal, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India (1993)
- Summer Research Fellowship, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute for Advanced Scientific Research, Indian Institute of Science Campus, Bangalore, India (1992)
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS), The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS), and Indian Institute of Metals (IIM)
- About Us
- Give to MTSE